Sunday, 25 November 2012

rivers deep...






There was quite a gathering at the bridge today.  There were iphones and camcorders and proper cameras pointed at the scene above.  The sight of our 'show field' dressed up as a wide, fast-flowing torrenty river was one to see and I'm pleased we ventured out with our neighbours to have a look but the whole thing makes me angsty.

I didn't like the dramatic change to our gentle landscape.  I didn't like the noise the thousands of gallons of water made sleusching under the bridge.  I didn't like the idea of the damage that water was doing to the bridge that we take for granted.  A few months ago, J & E were in tractor tyres bobbing down here in a raft-race.  I wasn't happy then and they were in three feet of water. 

Let's hope the sun comes out soon - here in our little corner of Wiltshire and in the places more badly affected by this weather.



3 comments:

Ali said...

I know what you mean. There's a little old bridge over the Thames that I cross many times a day on the way in and out of our village and today, it felt very fragile.

Only Me said...

The contrast from last week's full but gently flowing river to this week's muddy torrent is very alarming. NO more rain, just some lovely cold winter sunshine please.

VP said...

We had a frightening trip back from Dorset on Thursday night. It makes you realise how much we take for granted. Malmesbury was featured a lot on BBC Breakfast this morning!