Monday, 8 October 2012

priorities

I have spent the last three hours in a blind panic, thinking I had lost my purse.  Some of you who read this will not be surprised. 

The last three hours were also spent at J's 'sixth form open evening'.  I concentrated as hard as I could whilst worrying about my bank cards and driver's licence and working out how early I could get to college tomorrow morning to check lost property.  I found my student card in my pocket and the last time I saw my purse I was printing out some articles in the library.  I was convinced I would find it there.

A few minutes ago I found it in our 'so-called' first aid box - the box that's full of old penicillin prescriptions, a pot of crusty vaseline and some random herbal sleeping tablets.  The box that used to have Calpol and those useless head thermometers.  I had scooped it up after digging about for some paracetomol for The Worker whose patience, I can tell, is wearing quite thin.  This is the first drama of the week but one of several since I started back at college - all minor, all solvable but involving quite a bit of faffing, dithering and hyper-anxiety.

I feel stupid and cross with myself for tonight's events.  I'm nearly forty five.  I'm not fifteen.  I'm worse, in many ways, than the kids who seem, thankfully, to have inherited their father's organisational abilities, not mine.

I feel stupid and cross with myself for not concentrating, for not taking enough care of the important things by allowing myself to get distracted and disengaged simply because I'm rushing about and doing too many things without thinking.

It's time to start concentrating.





5 comments:

Lou said...

I send you a virtual hug. I bet you did tons of good things today and just one teensy-weensy unusual thing....

Super that you found your purse.
xx

Only Me said...

Poor you,what a horrible,horrible feeling that is and what a relief to find it. Hope you had a nice relaxing glass of wine to recover.

marigold jam said...

I am sure you are not stupid just have too many things to concentrate on at the same time just now. It happens to us all sometimes! Glad you found your purse anyway and didn't have the hassle of cancelling all cards and getting new ones etc!

hausfrau said...

Retracing your steps, it always helps. Think positive! You found it, and you hadn't left it, ditsy-like, on the printer.
Seems hideously early to be looking at 6th form plans. Mind, Youngest seemed pretty decided and didn't see the need to look at any subject other than those she'd chosen... so we didn't look at Maths...

Lu said...

Is it remotely possible that you can try and reduce the number of things that you are doing? I don't think you should beat yourself up over this - in my experience (how many times have I done something similar!) it is bound to happen now and again because you are managing so many different things - and 99% of the time, managing them well. I know it is incredibly frustrating to waste that time, but hurrah, you found the purse! Remember all the good stuff you are doing forgive yourself a blip, and perhaps get all those organised types around you to do a bit more...:)