Monday, 20 August 2012

the calm before

Since I last blogged, I've added a couple of things to my to-do-list.

I have added part-time Learning Advisor to my ever-increasing list of job-titles.

I got whiff of a job in the library at college towards the end of term.  Fifteen hours a week.  Perfect - I'm going there three times a week anyway and I love, love, love the library.  What did I have to lose?  Well, it turns out, nothing.  I got the job - hurrah - and started last week with a very lovely team of co-workers and a whole library of books, magazines and the opportunity to have a go with the scanners.  There was the small issue of starting in the summer holidays but neither J nor E have batted an eyelid.  I think they quite like the fact that I'm not nagging them to leave the house three mornings a week to go for a picnic in the rain at the nearest National Trust property before our membership runs out.

My logic?  Fifteen hours a week will bring a reasonable amount of extra income into the household without spending what seems like days and hours doing the donkey work that needs to be done as a self-employed writer/tutor.  I love teaching crafts.  Love, love, love it.  However, not everyone in our current economic climate has the interest or wherewithall to send themselves to classes on how to make lovely handmade things.  Me and my lovely workshops are not high on everyone's shopping lists in a double-dip recession.  Fair enough.

So, I have been calculating and planning my weekly schedule - anticipating the routine that will emerge in a couple of weeks time.   Both children (or, rather, young adults) will be at secondary school - leaving the house at 8am and returning at 4pm at the earliest.  This means there are 40 hours every week when, in theory, I should have no distractions.

15 hours I'll be at work and, unfortunately, 5 hours will be spent driving to and from work/college but for that, I have a new plan - podcasts.  I am busily googling and downloading as many art-related radio programmes as possible so that I can listen and get brainy whilst I drive.  Suggestions would be welcomed. 

I know I am fairly deluded about this clockwork time planning but it is giving me an inordinate sense of well-being and calm so I am going to continue until the (*/$£^ hits the fan and I start hurling myself around in an incoherent panic of dissertations, GCSEs, sports kit and sleepovers.

I love this time of year.  I love the nights drawing in slowly but surely and I have a severe case of new pencil case syndrome (this year I am self-medicating with a new phone - I do love an upgrade and it would be rude not to give Orange a little bit more of my hard-earned cash).

I love the possibility of the new term and I think it's because I loved school.  All the way through.  I loved being with my friends and learning all that stuff.  I never got bored and I've realised that the only times I get bored now are when there isn't enough to do.

So, here I am preparing, preparing, preparing before the new term starts and we can all get doing, doing, doing.

4 comments:

marigold jam said...

I love that phrase "new pencil case syndrome" Even all these years later I still get that in September and it must be 50 years since I last went back to school! I hope your new schedule works out for you and even if it does sometimes have to go by the board if it is giving you a sense of calm and well being then that can only be a good thing! Good luck with the new job and with your plans.

Only Me said...

What an inspiring and uplifting post. I do like a plan and busy doing is always good. I think new job should equal new pencil case and phone upgrade.

Sue Gaskin said...

Well done on being successful in your library pursuits! Did you know that SILENCE means no chatting, giggling or humming or even muttering to yourself - I wonder! Good luck with all of the above - Yes! I can see you being a quite strict "Shusher!"
cannot believe that Liitle E is at High School - Ye Gods! She will be dating soon!

hausfrau said...

Gosh you sound organised! I am idle to the extreme and definitely ought to take inspiration from all your planning... Mind, I've done the holiday washing and placed a Sainsburys order, but I'm taking no notice of the housework or the back to school requirements.