Wednesday, 22 February 2012

got to go

...it's the telly that's got to go.  Jane pointed out that my list was rather long for 40 days and 40 nights.  I agree.  I've spent the last couple of hours looking at my scribbly lists and it's perfectly clear that what I need is to make a little more time if only to sort out my lists. 

I've posted about  my lifelong addiction to telly before.  It's not a good thing.  I'm full of admiration (and secret scorn if I'm honest) for people who don't watch telly 'apart from the nature programmes'.  I don't know whether it's the lure of the sofa or the flickering light or the ritual of sitting in front of a cosy fire but, here goes:

My name is projectforty and I'm a telly addict.

There, I've said it.

Now, what?

Just switch it off and go and do something less boring instead - if you remember that - then you're as old as me.  I never understood the logic of a telly programme telling you to switch it off and go and do something else but then, I suppose, a lot of telly is like that.

Telly programmes about cooking, DIY, superscrimping, renovations, baking, gardening - all of which we watch at the expense of actually getting on and doing some of the things we would enjoy if we weren't parked in front of the telly watching some telegenic show off doing it.

So...here goes...my telly diet.

- no reality (telly that is)
- delete the series recording of TOWIE
- DVD boxed sets allowed but only one episode a time
- likewise previously recorded series of Spooks, The Killing and various BBC4 art programmes

I don't watch telly during the day but I pledge to avoid the sitting room until at least 9pm so that I don't flop on the sofa and stare blankly at the flicker until it's time to read my book for 30 seconds before falling asleep.

Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Jane Housham said...

Good luck! I do remember that programme and also remember pondering the logic of the title when I was a kid. (Shouldn't say this but not sure boxed sets and recorded stuff should be allowed either..... this is for Lent! It's got to hurt.... Just saying.)

Only Me said...

Good Luck -are you sure about deleting TOWIE ......

hausfrau said...

The female members of my family have what used to be called 'square eyes' - actually so does the male one but for sport and odd things like Top Gear and Time Team. We probably watch too much but I take consolation from the fact that we are very interactive with it (currently cooking Jamie's 30 minute meals every night by popular request of people who've decided it looks tasty on the telly) and constantly conversing (yelling at the TV is an inherited trait I reckon), and we're engaged in a Harry Potter movie fest working up to our newly acquired eighth DVD... and my taxi service is out three nights a week after all.