Monday, 9 January 2012

doing as I'm told...

...just not when I've been told to.

I have a deadline.  I've been aware of this deadline since the beginning of November.  It's not too close but it's close enough. 

The Worker reminded me about my new year's commitment to focus and concentration last night.  We'd gone to bed and I started to tell him about an advertisement I'd seen for a two day a week job, a contract for 7 months, working with schools, creative this and that, sounds ideal.  On and on I went until he kindly but firmly pointed out that, really, this degree malarkey should be my priority and did I really want to spend (at least) two days a week trying to convince myself that such a job had been a really good idea when I wasn't actually doing it and having to drive around South West England finding schools, trebling my carbon footprint, having to buy new workwear and squeeze everything else around two days a week which will definitely involve working during the summer holidays.  I'm glad he thinks things through....

As he was right, I woke relieved that I hadn't fired off an email requesting the job description.  Me and that gun jumping is a dangerous thing.

Instead, I spent the morning at Swindon hospital with J's suspected broken metatarsal.  It wasn't broken and it was quite pleasant for a trip to A&E.  The car park charging machines weren't working - a nice surprise.  I'd taken some sandwiches and a flask, packed my knitting (my new project is another story) and taken the brief for my 2nd year essay (see deadline above) so that I could put together an outline for my tutorial tomorrow.  A couple of hours with nothing else to do apart from knit, write, eat and drink was just what I needed.  They says there's always a silver lining...

I've written something that I'm quite pleased with although I have no idea whether it fits the brief or is detailed/ academic enough.  I'll take it tomorrow and see what happens. 

No run today - am just about to start dinner and do a bit of zumba on the wii while it's cooking.  Running tomorrow though.  A school run run - my least favourite.  I really don't like to be seen doing 'what I call' running!  Not yet anyway.

2 comments:

Only Me said...

What a relief that there is no broken foot - here's to a speedy recovery.

hausfrau said...

Good for the Worker: you stick to your studentyness please! It will open up new and better opportunities in the long run.
I know just what you mean about not wishing to be seen: there's something about not being caught feeling foolish and unfit - though the chances are everyone would just be impressed you were taking the time.