Monday, 12 December 2011

school's out....


I'm done.  The first assessment has been submitted.  I managed to get everything finished on time despite the efforts of various online file converters and have left my work suitable labelled and organised in my 'space' at college.

I've never had a 'space' before.  It seems to me that a lot of art speak refers to 'space'.  Go into any gallery and someone with trendy looking glasses will be talking about the 'great space' - a usually big room, usually painted white.  My space is basically a corner created by two tall boards about a metre and a half wide each with a desk and a chair and a drawer unit that I appropriated at the beginning of term.  I like it.  It's like sitting in a big book and filling the pages.

I'm lucky to have a room of my own at home.  I use the term 'of my own' lightly.  This is not the same thing as a 'space'.  My room is where everything that doesn't quite belong to someone else ends up.  It's the room which always needs a tidy up, a sort out.  It's the room where everything gets slung.  It's the room where I hoard my stash of materials - craft and otherwise.  It's the room where I try to work and think and make in between making the dinner and contemplating the necessity of yet another load of laundry.  I love my room at home and I appreciate the space I have.  If I was being very greedy, I'd have a sofa in it but I've got too much stuff in it so the sofa will have to wait.  I'd only fall asleep on it anyway so I suppose not having a sofa in there is a very good thing.  I only have to go next door to the living room if I need one.

On to other matters....

I posted a picture of my red satchel because I got it two Christmases ago.  It gets overlooked on a daily basis as I reach for smaller, less red bags.  I often use it when I go to galleries and exhibitions because it's big enough to take a sketchbook but not too bulky.

I think it needs to be brought off its hook and used for the festive season.  What do you think?  I posted it also because I'm quite interested in bags:  how we use them, what we put in them, what gets left at the bottom.  I think of them as our own little portable rooms, a space which we carry around with us.  We all know that you can tell a lot about the person about their bag - what's in it, whether they even carry one, whether they let friends/children/husbands through the fastenings for a rummage. 

Do you have a special bag?  Have you used the same one forever?  Do you eschew the lure and convenience of the day bag?  Are you a bag floozie?

4 comments:

Only Me said...

Definitely, time to get the lovely red satchel out. Generally, I'm not very good with bags - I currently have a cheap and cheeful bag which drives me nuts cos it's too small. Apart from a purse and diary it's crammed with silly bits of paper and keys for various places - time to get a proper, grown up bag me thinks - maybe for Christmas.

Gill said...

I currently covet a small bright green version of your school satchel which I spotted on the shoulder of a WI friend the other night. She tells me it came from Oasis, so as soon as I can get to a suitably large place I might go on a hunt...
I love gorgeous bags but don't really get the "designer bag" thing. Do you?

hausfrau said...

My every day bag needs replacing as the handles are falling to bits, but it's just too useful being the right size to hold my purse, a rather unused small filofax, cheque book, several reuseable shopping bags, tissues, Christmas lists, a map of Bath, my Colour Me Beautiful swatches, my glasses (unless I'm at home when they will usually be on my nose), some lipsalve, and so it goes on... though not my mobile because I prefer to keep it in a zipped pocket.
I own several bags (none of them designer) in various colours and designs but they now only come out on rare smart occasions. I prefer to go without a bag, just keys and purse in pockets. It was the advent of children that meant I felt the need to carry the world with me for all possible emergencies... and the addition of a mobile phone doesn't help in the not needing a bag version of life.

When do you hear how you've done?

I'm Crayon said...

My "space" at school is endearingly referred to as "the cubby"-and I absolutely love it! Regarding bags-how can you leave that fabulous red satchel at home, ever? But I get it. I favor functionality. Just last night Hubby asked if I was getting out my red bag for the holidays, but I just can't give up my cross body Radley!