Sunday, 20 November 2011

the rhythm of life

I know it's been a while.  Believe me, this blog is not the only thing that's languishing unattended at the moment.  Don't be alarmed, this isn't a post about being busy.  We're all busy.  You don't need to know how busy I am.  You're probably busy and you've popped off for a bit of blog-browsing for a bit of downtime, not to read a list of things other people need to be doing.  I imagine you've got your own list.

Anyway.

I've been thinking about how the years seem to develop their own kind of personal rhythm (now I type it, it looks like a typo), beyond the usual Christmas, Easter, summer holidays routine that's imposed upon us.  I started to think about this when I read a 'top tip for surviving Christmas' in one of those interminable lists that magazine editors foist upon us this time of year because all the writers, editors and magazine folk are working on their spring issues and started thinking about Christmas in July.


The 'top tip' was, and I quote 'have Christmas when you want to have Christmas'.  I think the list had been made up from readers' suggestions.  The blurb underneath the suggestion explained how you could, actually, have Christmas whenever you liked.  Now, is this a sign of sanity or complete madness?

In our house, we have 3 birthdays in October and November, with the last one, exactly a month and a week before Christmas day.  Every year this results in a great deal of entertainment, joviality, happiness and the accompanying festive panic directly afterwards.  I'm aware that others are planning Christmas and have been doing so since the school term started.  I think about it and then tell myself that it's OK, I can think about it after E's birthday. 

Today is the day after E's birthday.  I find myself ahead of the game.  I have bought 6 Christmas presents, including one for myself.  I feel organised.  The alternative would be to have our Christmas in March - I don't think it would be quite the same with a view of daffodils in the garden.

My year goes something like this....

January - make resolutions, don't keep them, sit on the sofa quite a lot

February - think about doing something useful in the garden

March - do something vaguely useful in the garden, look forward to the end of the football season

April - decide to start doing some exercise, wonder what the point of Easter eggs is and wouldn't we all like a proper chocolate bar instead

May - do a bit of exercise, give up after a couple of weeks

June - flop after finishing college for the year

July - wonder what to do with the kids in the summer holidays

August - enjoy not doing very much in the summer holidays (although 2012 will be a pain as I'll have to look as if I'm interested in the Olympics)

September - get excited about going back to college, think about new boots

October - wear new boots when it's still too warm and enjoy the birthday season

November - demand a fire every night, wish I'd done more exercise in the longer days

December - think about getting more organised for Christmas next year

****
On another matter,  I heard this great programme about Malmesbury, The Philosophy Town this morning. 

4 comments:

Sarah said...

There would be chaos if we switched the dates of Xmas around. As things can get rather disorganised through the year, it does help to have these fixed dates to bring back a little order, and have things to look forward, and pointers to know where we are.

Are you studying philosophy?

projectforty said...

Hi Sarah

No, Fine Art but find myself contemplating all sorts of questions of great importance and significance. I was just amazed to hear Malmesbury on the radio and for such a high-falutin' thing!

Only Me said...

I agree, tis true that each years seems to develop its own personal rhythm - its good to have rhythm. I trundle along life's path knowing what to expect as each season changes - annual half term trip to the Island of Wight, sunny summer walks along the river and cosy nights by the fire in November and Mr B cooking the turkey on Christmas day.

hausfrau said...

Well it was worth waiting for you to post: a perfectly understandable summary of the year!
I CAN'T leave contemplation of Christmas until after Youngest's birthday, only the decorating. She came 9 days before Christmas - which at least resulted in a tradition of Christmas lunch being cooked by Husband - but is otherwise not clever.
I only heard a little of The Philosophy Town and haven't yet got to the i-player... one day!