Thursday, 3 November 2011

pie


I'm taking a trip back in time with this pie.  It was baked just over a month ago by J, not me.  My pies never look quite as magnificent.  J is taking home economics for GCSE.  I'm learning a lot.  I now get instructions on how to wash dishes, grease baking trays and chop onions.  All this is delivered in a deep voice which I haven't quite got used to yet.

I have to say I'm feeling a little unsettled at the moment.  This time of year is always tricky for me.  There are  celebrations and sadnesses - good memories and sad memories on almost every day from the beginning of October to the end of November. 

I think, also, the changing nature of our own, immediate family is bringing back memories for me and stirring my emotions from pride to panic, anxiety to joy as everyone is getting that little bit older.  We're definitely in the thick of family life.  We're in the middle between childhood, adulthood and independence.  As no-one really tells you the truth about childhbirth, no-one tells you the truth about how to handle the changing relationship with your children as you start to become the background to their own lives and the choices they want to make.

5 comments:

Only Me said...

A very poignant post. Recently, I've been struggling with the 'passage of time' - where has it gone, the kids ever changing and growing (in all ways!) and what will be... but I'm sure all will be well.
PS: Looks a yummy pie.

VP said...

I think th eclocks going back unsettles everyone too.

No-one was coping at all well at choir on Monday...

hausfrau said...

Eldest's GCSE in Home Ec is the reason she can answer questions on University Challenge apparently...
About the growing up of children: "not easier, just different" as I've said before.

Sue Gee said...

Ahhh! Life changes all the time and we have to swim with the tide. Each wave brings new learning today a pie - tomorrow a souffle - enjoy it all!

Lu said...

Your last sentence is so true. And at the same time that allows you to make some new beginnings too, and regain some freedoms from way back BC!