Monday, 22 August 2011

there's no place like home...






We've been home a week.  The holiday laundry is done (and ironed - mostly).  A courgette cake has been made.  School shoes have been bought.

Our days are shorter as E & J seem to have longer and longer lie-ins.  I always thought this would be a good thing but it's taking a little bit of getting used to.  I do, however, get a few hours each day to work on whatever takes my fancy whether that's writing, crafting or drawing for college.

I've had some disappointing news on the freelance front since we came home which has made me learn not to get too excited when articles are promised and projects are mooted.  But, never mind, I'm sure there will be other opportunities coming my way sometime soon.  It would be nice to make a little extra cash but I've realised that I do need to focus on getting my degree.  Our second year counts towards 25% of the overall marks so I need to prioritise my work there rather than paid work for a while.

Spain always felt a long way away but now it feels a long time ago too.  I dug out my winter boots one day last week.  There's a definite mist-thing going on in the mornings and the trees are laden with apples and plums.  I always love autumn and the shortening of the days but this year it has come a little too soon for my liking.  I need a bit more sunshine.




5 comments:

Gill said...

I hope you've enjoyed some of the same sunshine we've had today, Janice. Not that it looks likely to stay around for long, though, sadly.
Sorry to hear of the let down but hope another possibility will be along soon. Fingers crossed.

Sue Gee said...

I love the sound of apples and plums - made me think of your cheeks in full grin! Sadly rejection is part of a writers life or an artists life for that matter - Never give up hope! Write if only for yourself and your family.Wish I could spend an hour dozing in your garden - perhaps next year :-)

Jo said...

My two would sleep the clock round if I allowed it. I've started getting them up when hubby leaves for work though, otherwise they're never tired when it comes to bedtime. Autumn is definitely on it's way, and winter will be here before we know it.

Only Me said...

Yes, me too am sorry you had disappointing news but am sure there will be something 'round the corner'.
There is a definite autumnal air about and it does feel like it has come round very quickly.

hausfrau said...

As I hung out the first of the holiday washing this morning it felt distinctly autumnal. And my apples seem to be all over my garden! Lots to catch up on, but with Husband still on holiday there are a few more treats yet: Hidcote tomorrow for a start.