Monday, 15 August 2011

rambling

This is my 500th post and I'd love to be able to write something awe-inspiring and earth shattering but it's the Monday after a holiday and I'm too busy doing the laundry, fighting the weeds on the allotment and wondering whether I should go back to Slimming World on Wednesday when I know, for sure, that a couple of pounds have crept on over the last two weeks. 

I worked out, incidentally, that in 13 days away from home our wee family of four (2 adults, 2 children) consumed in the region of 28 baguettes, invariably stuffed with ham, cheese (and in my case, cornichons).  I haven't dared look up the Slimming World Syn value of 28g of baguette.  It's best I don't know. 

The kids have disappeared for the afternoon.  I think three days in the car has cured J of his holiday agrophobia issue.  I imagine he is on a Playstation and E is down by the river.  Neither are rioting nor looting, I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that.

It was alarming to pop to the campsite shop each morning to be confronted with headlines of horror and pictures of scary looking graphs and fires on assorted English streets.  It was a relief not to feel compelled to watch the hideousness unfold via the delights of BBC News 24.  I only hope that the government can find a way to deal with all the complex issues that seem to have converged in chaos and violence.  I'm not convinced they can with their current talk of gangs and evictions.  They somehow seem to be missing the point. 

There is something terrifying about watching people of your own country damage that country and their communities not necessarily out of political and social protest but out of mindless, pointless greed and some kind of misdirected bravado.  The saddest and most worrying part of the whole thing is the complete disconnection that there seems to be between the rioters/looters/participants and their own humanity.  I saw little concern or understanding from those interviewd about how their violence would affect other members of their communities and no realisation or apology that the burning and stealing would have an impact on the people whose homes and businesses and families were destroyed or damaged.    

As always, after a spot of global drama, I like to contemplate the relevance of blogging.  You won't be surprised to hear that I feel it might be time to ditch my domestic pontifications self-obsessed recording of trials and tribulations of a tea-obsessed, forty plus, village-dwelling mother of two.  Tapping away in my rural bubble seems trivial to say the least.  There are a couple of weeks left of the summer holidays and I'm back at college in a few weeks after that. There are a lot of things going on and this little blog may put itself in the bottom of the warming oven of the Rayburn for a while.  We shall see.

On a lighter note and in the meantime, here's what I could have bought when rambling down La Ramblas last Monday.




 
 

I didn't buy anything. 

1 comment:

Only Me said...

We were on holiday when the rioting was occurring and it did feel like we were in a safe 'bubble' in Cornwall. Like you say the lack of understanding and disconnection between the rioters and their communities was very upsetting.
Interesting cockerills!