Thursday, 16 June 2011

guilty secret...

...in between buying wellies, discovering how many syns are in a Costa Coffee stem ginger biscuit (I'm still in denial) and promoting my upcoming craft workshops, I caught half an hour of 'The Holiday' on Channel 4.  I had a feeling I'd seen it before - Cary Grant, Kathryn Hepburn and another fine-boned lady starred.

The bit I saw featured Grant talking about taking a kind of retirement or sabbatical while he was young so he could understand what it was he was working for.  I liked that idea and, having thought about it for oooh, about an hour, I think I might be doing something similar.

I have worked on and off since I was thirteen - Saturday jobs, part-time jobs, full-time jobs but always (until recently) simply to pay the bills and enjoy what was left of my free time.  I've always liked most of the people I've worked with and enjoyed the environment or office that I found myself but it's safe to say I've never really had the experience of waking up and looking forward to going to work.

I hadn't really thought about it much before today but what I've finally arrived at is a point where I think I might, one day, have a career.  My degree (hopefully) will give me the credibility to have a grown up job (which will be nice when I'm pushing 50) and I think I'm going to need it with tuition fees, car insurance and teenager-dom rearing their expensive little heads at our family.

Let's hope I enjoy it.

PS:  Half a stone down.

3 comments:

marigold jam said...

I didn't really get that feeling about work till I was in my 40's when I started teaching adults and really enjoyed it. It makes all the difference if you have a job you really enjoy and which gives some satisfaction. Good luck and don't worry too much about the occasional ginger bikkie!

hausfrau said...

Meant to watch that while I cleaned the sitting room but got sidetracked by Youngest coming home with a headache... Went into business from college when I was 22, and worked solidly for 11 years, rising through the management ranks for an international group (not my bit of it!). Worked in production management then sales and loved pretty much all of it. Never expected to find myself an unpaid housewife and mother and continue to fail to put effort into finding a way to earn. Unambitious enough now to simply enjoy what Husband and I have achieved between us...
I hope you achieve your dream.

Only Me said...

I've always (mostly) enjoyed my work but a large part of that I think is the people or place I've worked. I remember working at Shelter and this being a really fantastic chapter of my life.
I am sure you will ahieve your dream - I think your work is great.