Monday, 6 June 2011

branching out


This tree reminds me of my head and the thoughts within it.  Two distinct themes sprout in opposite directions (i.e. chores v. enjoyment) with ever-numerous branches of ideas and activity sprouting in a variety of different directions but with a dense clod of tanglement at the top.  I am forever following a certain path or making a particular choice only to become either distracted or somehow prevented from following it through.  These inevitable barriers can be self-constructed or somehow just pop up out of nowhere.

I don't say this in a 'woe-is-me' kind of way, it's just the way I find things to be.  I often feel as if I'm circumnavigating icebergs or obstacles.  If I decide to do one thing, then something else pops up either to distract me or prevent it from being an uncomplicated issue.  I find myself, post-forty, being quite the dab-hand at compromise and flexibility.  I like to think that all these mini-challenges make for a more interesting day to day life.  I try not to resent the diversions, I like to think of ways to either embrace them or manoeuvre around them.

You can probably tell that I've now got too much time on my hands.  Pontification seems to be the order of the day.  College has finished.  I'm working but not as much as I'd like/need to and all the jobs that I should be doing aren't nearly as interesting as having a bit of a ponder.  I should, of course, be houseworking, gardening, allotmenting, cleaning bits of the house that aren't normally investigated.  I'd rather, of course, be writing and drawing and visiting wonderful places of inspiration.

Decisions, decisions.

4 comments:

marigold jam said...

I know exactly what you mean - soemtimes I think it might be easier if we didn't have so much choice! I too spend a lot of time thinking about what I want to do and not enough actually doing any of it! If I find the answer I will let you know but don't hold your breath!!

hausfrau said...

The list of jobs a person ought to be doing is always longer than the time available - I expect there's a law - and while I do like to cross things off said list (and have been known to add something that wasn't on it to do just that) there's nothing more interesting than going off list! We need to see art, drawing,inspiration...

Sue Gee said...

To do or not to do - that is the question?

Only Me said...

I think it is important to have a bit of ponder - to go off on a litte trail of thought and, hopefully, by the time you get back to those day to day thoughts some of those 'to do' things on that list might have 'dropped' off and can be forgotten!