Tuesday, 26 April 2011

what's that about global warming?

Hasn't it been marvellous!  Sun every day in the Easter holidays.  I can't remember one like it.  It usuallly pours and I look out of my kitchen window on the sorry looking allotment wondering about doing some weeding.  This year, there are onions and gladiolis and parsnips and potatoes and weeds (of course) but no rain sodden nettles or puddles on the path.  It looks like July but with a slight nip in the air.


Here are two of my favourite people on Charmouth beach.  We were there for just a couple of hours (apologies to Mrs P - I'm pretty sure you were away, now I know I can get there, we'll be coming again!)  When we arrived there were six cars in the car park, when we left, there was a queue to get in.  I wouldn't say it was the most beautiful beach but it was the nearest and two hours by the sea left me wide awake and fulll of summer spirit.

I want to live by the sea sometime soon.  Not necessarily all the time.  I can't be doing with the upheaval but I would really like a little place by a beach, even a town beach.  What I would like most of all is a month by a beach.  The Worker and I went travelling a long time ago and one of my favourite bits was the month by the beach that I'd exchanged for two weeks of trekking in Nepal - lots of lying down in exchange for too much yomping about.  Bliss.  I think it might have to be a sandy beach although pebbles appeal as they're quite clean and I can convince myself I'm having a hot stone massage at the same time.  I'm easily pleased.

However, as funds are limited being a student and all that, I think my seaside retreat will have to wait, at least in reality.  There may be a little online time wasting around the north Devon coast a little later today when I should be on the laptop making some cash not spending it in in an imaginary manner.


***

Well, from all accounts Catherine the Slim has done a lot better on the wedding diet front than myself.  I have lost precisely 1lb since I challenged myself to get in to my wedding suitt.  I am delighted to announce however, that I can get the jacket and shoes on.  I can also get the skirt on, I just can't do it up.  This means that I have a 66% success rate, which in many examinations rates as an 'A' - as you can imagine, I'm thrilled.

I have also been inspired by an article in the Sunday Times Style magazine announcing that curves are cool.  Hurrah!  I suspect, unfortunately, that this article is in the same vein as those that suggest military fashion is cool - every year, around March.  Never mind - I take some comfort in my temporary coolness.  Finally - I'm in fashion.

***

Did you make bunting this weekend?  I had a lovely time and have strung some festively across the front of the house.  We are now a three string bunting house - two from Poundland (new favourite shopping - great doilies) and one from my very own sewing machine.  Roll on Friday....

2 comments:

Only Me said...

It has been marvellous.

On the fashion front, D's view of being fashionable is not changing his (alleged) 'style' because it will come around again and he will be the first ... um - not so sure in his case!

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Wonderful seaside picture! Don't go and live there too soon, though – a bit far for dropping in for a cup of tea or popping in to borrow the phone when I'm on the allotment. Think C the S is setting a very bad example with her dieting. Love your bunting, too – makes our curmudgeonly bunting-free zone look very plain and dull.