Friday, 1 April 2011

try something new every day....


...whilst Mrs No-Knickers was rambling through clay (see yesterday's post), I decided to give painting a try.  I can't say whether it went well or not, having never painted with a brush before.  I have, of course, dropped watercolour onto wet paper to behold the burst of colour that ensues and I did have a go scraping acrylic with an old credit card, just to see what happened, about four years ago. 

One thing I have learnt this year is that most of an art degree is about showing the process of decision making involved in almost everything I do.  It's a bit of a leap.  I'm not allowed to say I 'like', 'enjoy' or 'dislike' something without following that word with a long explanation or argument for that decision or choice.  That something can be another artist's work, it can be the media I choose to draw in, it could be the point of view expressed by an art critic.  Everything is up for discussion.

This is how a previously rational person starts to draw suitcases and continues to draw suitcases for nearly four months of her life.  And then, inexplicably picks up a paintbrush and tries to paint suitcases - so far, for three weeks of her life. 



Now, you might look at this (as I do) and say, oooh, there's a WIP, there's a bit of an attempt at suitcase painting.  Well, you're mistaken.  This is a collection of marks, describing distortions of shape and line, inspired by a blurred photograph of a selection of suitcases.  There you go....something new every day.

3 comments:

hausfrau said...

I don't care what you call it: it looks like very arty suitcases to me! Great to see a piece of your art but we need more.

Ed said...

I get it.

Only Me said...

I like and I agree with hausfrau...