Thursday, 27 January 2011

movie overload

We have watched three films since Saturday:

- Up in the Air (George Clooney being mean but getting less mean)
- The American (George Clooney looking very worried whilst getting away with murder)
- Revolutionary Road (Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio being very miserable)

I need something to cheer me up!  I love a good drama but, dear me, where has all the fun gone?  I know these films aren't exactly up to the minute but is anyone making films for adults that have a little bit of joy?  Perhaps a few laughs?  

We have a new thing in Malmesbury which should make sure we actually leave the house to see films.  Our local town council has teamed up with Moviola the UK's 'rural multiplex'.  The idea is that the film and projectionist travel, not the audience.  A fantastic idea and very enjoyable unless you have back problems and don't fancy sitting on the standard village/town hall seating.  If you're in the South West, take a look at their website and see where they screen.  We're having a year's trial in Malmesbury and I'm spreading the word so that the trial turns into a regular venue.  As the most northern town in a rural county, it's can be difficult for the local population to access all sorts of services and entertainments.  A fortnightly trip to the cinema is not going to save lives but it is going to bring something a little different and an extra bit of joy.

6 comments:

hausfrau said...

I heard about this yesterday and I think it's a great idea! The film of the moment is to be The King's Speech which my family went to at the dreaded multiplex a couple of weeks ago. Regardless of the hype all four of us thought it one of the best films we'd ever seen: highly recommended and not sad!

Wylye Girl said...

Thanks for the tip-off about Moviola. I've never heard of it but they have screenings at Codford St Peter which is only a few miles away from me. There's an award for you over at mine. I'm so sorry, I forgot to tell you about it. Here's the link http://therivercottagediaries.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award-7-things-you.html

You are supposed to tell us 7 things about yourself and then pass it on to other bloggers whose blogs you have just found but as with anything, if you have the time and inclination, otherwise, just enjoy the award.

Fran said...

Out of those three, I've only watched Revolutionary Road. No, not exactly a bundle of laughs, I agree.

Lu said...

try "the kids are all right' and 'skeletons' - one u.s, one british, they are really nice films that give you a laugh and leave you with a smile on your face!

Only Me said...

I think it sounds great, and am looking forward to going to the Kings Speech, and only having to pop up the road - bloomin marvellous plus there won't be loads of adverts.

Sue Gee said...

Oooh! I loved Up in the Air - but then thats my field HR. We saw Made in Dagenham on Strurday which is lovely and light but I felt it trivialised women's right to equal pay rather - I would have enjoyed a bit more credit to these brave women! Also saw The next three days - very gripping! Also cant wait for the Kings Speech which is sitting on an external hard drive at Seans - but he doesnt have the time to do anything with it!!!! I am itching in anticipation -sigh!