Tuesday, 30 November 2010

a shocking discovery....

...there's another 'me'. 

I've started to make contact with companies and other organisations to boost my writing and teaching activities.  I thought I would check my online profile as I'm aware that those I've contacted may take a little time to check it out.  I chose to write this blog anonymously because initially I wanted to write more freely and I wasn't sure how long I would blog, what I would write about etc.  I think my real name is on a handful of websites such as School of Everything.

Anyway, I googled 'me' and up popped another 'me' on Facebook.  I don't do Facebook.  If I wanted to meet people, I'd go out or join a group or see my friends in the real world.  Nevertheless, I had to look.  The temptation was too much.

'Me' on Facebook is a perfectly nice woman with quite a few friends.  I have to say, however, that I'm a bit miffed that I can't now claim my own name on Facebookplanet.  I'll have to contrive a name with numbers or with my middle name.  She also seems to have more friends than me.  I quickly left her profile as it all felt a little peculiar.  My name, someone else's life.  I should never have looked!  Can I claim my name back?  I can't think anyone would want to participate in such a trade.  My online future, I fear, may be doomed.

4 comments:

Only Me said...

It all sounds a little disconcerting. I've got a similar thing with my sister in law, who has the same name as me, and has my old surname - bloomin cheek!

hausfrau said...

Spooky! I don't want to know I might be out there somewhere not being myself!

A Bun Can Dance said...

How strange is that? It must really have been quite weird for you...
I'm quite obsessive about names, actually, and my biggest bugbear is when somebody gets somebody else's name wrong. The teacher in me is outraged when I see a letter or whatever, addressed to somebody with the wrong name or wrong spelling. Our names are part of who we are, aren't they? I can hear the voice of John Proctor in my head now!
As for me, I created my own name several years ago and (fingers crossed) I've not (yet) found anyone else with the same name!
D x

Sue Gee said...

I'm going to google you too! Just to check up that she isnt you - can the world handle two of you??