Wednesday, 1 September 2010

can I get my boots on now?

This is what I like to see - I'm an autumn girl.  Give me a conker and a rusty-looking tree and I'm happy.  I love the dew on the grass in the mornings, the drooping, drying herbaceous borders, the slowly shrinking days.  I've booked the annual woodburner sweep and I'm already looking forward to lighting that fire and enjoying some winter time.  We have three birthdays in the house before the end of November, a trip to Florida coming up and then it will be Christmas.  I will most likely be on a real-life rollercoaster during the week that makes me spin - my birthday followed by the anniversary of losing my Dad is a bit of a knuckle-ride.  I know he'll be cheering us all on from the designated smoking area in the sky as we spin on the teacups and scream down Thundermountain. 

I digress - back to the boots....my summer-stressed toes are ready to hibernate.  I need my stripy foot-tan to fade and despite my FitFlop conversion and this year's progress on the pedicure front, there's nothing quite like a pair of winter boots.  I've seen the perfect pair and am currently justifying their purchase - brown, mid-heel, a little bit Karen Carpenter. 

J has just gone back to school and E is still in bed.  We're under a little pressure to have a lovely day as it's the last day of the holidays and she has a TD day.  Various outings have been suggested, most of which seem to involve shopping.  Neither of us are particularly well-off but my suggestions of bike rides and picnics are shrugged off as dull, barely worth a thought.  

It could go either way...



3 comments:

hausfrau said...

We spent the girls' last day shopping in the morning and watching a movie in the afternoon. A waste of the sunshine, but definitely chilled! Today is all mine..

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

oh man I am SO ready! A new pair of boots is just so fall, isn't it? I actually knit a WINTER hat yesterday and it's supposed to be in the 90s where I am until saturday! UGH! I'm ready to be done with summer for sure. lol

Only Me said...

It was a bit of a shock this morning - 2 out of 3 us went back to school. K had a lovely day with her friend in the sunshine.