Sunday, 19 September 2010

back to the future

That's it.  I'm a student again, twenty five years after my last attempt.  That number of years does nothing for my anti-ageing regime, I can tell you.  The fact that two of my fellow students have literally just left school and are younger than my youngest niece makes my head spin and my wrinkles deepen.

I'm having a great time though.  Three days in and I can't wait for the next three years.

I must explain that this adventure is taking part in Swindon.  Who knew you could have so much fun...in Swindon!  For those of you who don't know and may be interested, I've started a BA in Fine Art with Drawing Practice.  In some complicated college funding palaver, it's an Oxford Brookes degree but it's taught just up the road.  Apparently, this is one of the few art degrees that offers such a detailed analysis and pathway through drawing and its significance to all fine art practice.  Phew!  I know, sounds mightly grand to me too.

I did an Access to Art & Design course a couple of years ago after I'd finished a contract and was looking for something to do.  Little did I know that I would finally find something I wanted to do, really wanted to do.

I've been wanting to get a degree for years, just to prove I can, just to get that piece of paper and, especially, to wipe out that little pebble of irritation I've had with myself ever since I flunked out the first time.  I've spent years doing adult education courses, diplomas, every single work-based training course I could get my hands on.  I love to learn.  I love new things and there's nothing I like better than sitting about reading and thinking and pondering (except knitting).

The main aim for colleges running Access courses is to convert those students to BA students.  I signed up.  I was hooked.  Life decided to get in the way - big time - and I put that plan on the back burner, thinking that was it, I'd have to wait until the kids had done their stuff.

The thing is, it's now or never.  I've realised that I don't really need a degree, I've worked happily and successfully without one - I just want one. 

Meanwhile, as I'm swanning about in a fedora and smock, the garden is going mad.  Everywhere I look there are either vegetables to be eaten or hedges to be cut back or drooping plants, waiting to be chopped.  There's laundry to be done and dust to be removed.  It took G&J four hours to de-dust J's bedroom yesterday.  Looks lovely (especially as I didn't have to do it!).  It would appear that real-life must be managed throughout this process.  I'm looking forward to seeing how that works out. 

Well...I'm off to look at my sketchbook.  Happy Sunday!

11 comments:

marigold jam said...

Wishing you all the best in your new venture. I know exactly how you feel about wanting this since I did a similar thing and got my Cert Ed years after quitting college the first time just to prove I could! Enjoy being a student again.

Jane

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

Congratulations!! I'm actually helping to lead some workshops for adult students re-entering school for the first time. Are you going to be going full time? :)

That's so exciting for you!

Sue Gee said...

You sound so passionate and alive so its obvious that you have found the right path! Cant wait to follow your progress and see your work. Great that the family are supporting your efforts and pulling thier weight. Enjoy every moment!

Sue said...

Glad it is going well, I'm looking forward to regular updates.

Ed said...

Good for you. Never give up on your dream.

Only Me said...

You'll be fantastic - well done - enjoy. Please may I invite myself to your first show?

Georgina said...

I hate to give advice as I know less with each day that passes, but I did a degree in my late thirties and I absolutely loved the academic side but I didn't 'allow' myself to enjoy the social side. I wish I had. I encourage you to not do as I did and rush back to complete all my wifely/motherly tasks as if I was not also studying hard. They would all have survived. I got a first, but I also had a break down. Please ENJOY above all else! The younger students are just you a few years ago and feel the age difference less than we think!

hausfrau said...

Love the new strap line and will be most interested to hear how guilty you feel about the family joining in the housework! When do we get to see some of your drawing? So glad you're having fun.. and in Swindon. However much you hate it you have to admit it can provide pretty much anything you need - even art apparently.

Jane Housham said...

Congratulations on starting your Fine Art degree. When I read that you were doing that, and also that you're a fan of Mad Men, I had to start following your blog. If you read mine, you'll see that I recently did the Foundation Diploma but bottled taking up my Fine Art place -- so I really admire you for taking the plunge. Best of luck,

Jane H
www.janehousham123.blogspot.com

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Goodness - how do you get family members to join in the housework? I need to know!

Looking forward to seeing those sketchbooks and embryonic projects (and am secretly rather jealous).

A Bun Can Dance said...

Oh yippee! It's great to hear about your college experience, and as you say, who'd have thought it of Swindon??
I'm somewhat envious as I've spent far too many years wondering whether to take the leap into an Art foundation course or not... I know I will eventually it is just a case of timing. Of course had I known the adoption process would take forever and a day, I could have got started on the course this year - but that's life as the song goes...
I wish you so much luck with your adventure and can't wait to read more about it :-)
Here's to You :-)
D xx