Tuesday, 13 July 2010

the last day of summer?


One of the many wonderful things about taking some time off work and having my mum nearby is sharing days in beautiful places such as Mary Keen's garden in Gloucestershire.  This meadow, grown from a mix collated by Sheffield University's brainiest was the highlight of yesterday's trip.

Having googled Mary Keen, I also find she is going to the literary festival at Port Eliot this year, my annual camping trip.  This year they are organising a flower show and I'm looking forward to hearing the speakers talk about flower arranging and gardening all with that distinctive PE angle.

We also saw these....


I do love a potting shed.  I am angling for a shed in the garden.  G has other plans.  I want to clear out the unused camp and tangled knot of trees at the bottom of the garden and install a large potting shed with enough room for the tools I am accused of leaving to rust in the flower beds and a chaise.  I will keep my camping stove down there, a biscuit tin and a few blankets and install solar panels to power a light to read by.  I often hide in the greenhouse, a shed with a chaise would make the hiding more comfortable, particularly in the summer as my cucumbers are now sprawling.

I'll leave you with this little beauty...


***

5 comments:

Sue Gee said...

There has to be no finer place than the British countryside in Summer - it is so beautiful! I have just watched Bright Star about the poet John Keats and the country scenes were to die for! Its winter here and we have a water crisis so our counryside is yellow and bare.Hmm I may take a trip to Hogsback and see if I can find some beauty there!

marigold jam said...

I do hope you get your shed - why should it be men who hide away in sheds I wonder? We women could make a much better job of our hidey holes couldn't we?!

J

Only Me said...

It looks beautiful - I really love cornflowers and grasses together and the good ol' poppy.

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Gorgeous wildflower meadow. How come I can never get anything to look like that, however often I strive for the 'natural look', garden-wise, at least. Shed sounds like a capital idea. I think you should just get one anyway.

Ed said...

Hi Janice, sounds like you are enjoying your free time again. I miss the English countryside a lot. There are lots of trees here but it is too damn hot to walk anwyhere. Roll on the fall which should be stunning and a much better temp for taking a stroll. Really missing my knitty friends, have got involved in a couple of groups this end but it is just not the same |:(

When I come home for a visit I'll be muscling in with my pointy sticks.