Monday, 3 May 2010

what are bank holidays for?

staying in bed and making progress on the library book (Martin Amis - 'The Pregnant Widow')
*
cleaning the kids' rooms in my pyjamas
*
explaining to J why you should collect dust as you dust, not just flick it across the room
*
realising my daughter has inherited my magazine fixation
*
ranting about clothes not being left on the floor again - ever
*
conceding that E now has more storage space in her bedroom than I do
*
sighing over old kids' clothes - they've grown - when did that happen?
*
discovering that skirting boards can become curiously fluffy if left to their own devices for a while
*
realising that the sort out was long overdue having discovered pants labelled 4-5 in her drawer - she is 10
*
understanding where the UK supply of pink plastic has gone
*
finding 11 assorted pencil cases and purses - in one cupboard
*
wondering why bindeez were ever invented
*
not knitting (unfortunately)
*
putting washing in and taking it in again, avoiding what I swear was hail
*
observing the two wild rabbits in our garden decimating my vegetable seedlings
*
hopefully planting cabbage and sprout seedlings in the allotment - I fear the worse
*
contemplating a weekend away for the next bank holiday
***

3 comments:

Sue Gee said...

You sound like you have had a really industrious day - perhaps there should be more Bank Holidays! Alas no long weekend here in SA - I have had a day of bargain hunting. Various friends have given me tips on how to live cheaply as I face a future without Clinique! I have bought Udder cream - apparently it is wonderful for the complexion! Also scoured the shops in the town centre - full of pink plastic - no shortage here. I bought 2 pashminas and a baby blanket for 2 quid each (your money) It was quite an experience being in deepest darkest Africa and surrounded by Chinese goods - Gloablisation - Uuk!!

Only Me said...

Today I have mainly been trying to get rid of the fluff monsters too! Oh yes, and a bank holiday outing to the garden centre - we know how to have a grand day out.

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Yes, when do children do all that sudden growing? Perhaps we ought to stop feeding them. Love the sound of a 10-year-old with a magazine fixation - sounds like a girl after my own heart.