Tuesday, 6 April 2010

nice but naughty

My beautiful satchel, bought as a Christmas present from the Cambridge Satchel Company.


I lusted after this bag on the interweb and G granted my wish for a retro, red satchel.  Little did I know that it would cause injury to my dear friend LBD.  I know it's an inanimate object but I shall be careful now on to keep it in the back seat whilst travelling accompanied.



Our kitchen cupboards are now stuffed with chocolate.  We have had a lovely family time over Easter, catching up with our nearest and dearest.  Everyone kindly fed us to the gills or left us with supplies of cakes and yummy treats.  Miraculously, no additional pounds have been accrued but my willpower is going to be tested over the next few weeks.  My brother-in-law has lost a good deal of weight and reduced his cholesterol by half during six weeks of careful living.  I'm not sure I can rise to such heights of abstemiousness (?) but I've got a term of working approximately 2 minutes walk away from our local gym at a school-staff reduced discount.  It's got to be done.


These daffodils are casting a beautiful spring-like glow over our kitchen table.  They are curly and pretty and incandescently yellow.  I know I'm not the only blogger to post a picture of a daffodil at the moment but I simply couldn't resist, particularly as I can't eat them.

I managed to get the children out of the house for a couple of hours. We popped to Chippenham and did a circuit via the library, the bank, the pet shop and Wilkinsons for some amazingly cheap seeds and seed trays.  I think I managed to get 6 packets of seeds for £3.  There is probably a horticultural wizard out there who will say those seeds are doomed from all sorts of ecological or environmental shortcomings but I've got a lot of border to fill up and not a lot of pennies to fill it up with.   My idea is to make the garden as well as the allotment as productive as possible, if not with food, with plants that the birds and bees will take a liking too.  I'm sure I'll be waist high in nettles and ground elder by May but my intentions are good so far.

My children don't like to leave the house during the holidays which is a strange, limiting phenomenon.  They like to stay in their pyjamas and become inert objects, clad in fleece and cotton jersey.  This is great from the point of view of getting work done.  I sent a survey out a couple of weeks ago and now have approximately 500 questionnaires to process.  I need to sit still for a while and tick boxes and learn how to use Excel.

On the other hand, two agoraphobic children means a lot of snacks and very little fresh air.  They are not quite of an age where they can be left alone together for longer than 20 minutes.  Small disagreements can flare unpredictably.  A short trip to the greenhouse in my wellies may have to be paid for by half an hour's refereeing and supernanny-type negotiations. 

5 comments:

marigold jam said...

What a stunning satchel in that lovely red - how I wish they had been available in red when I got my brown one all those years ago!!

At least you know where your children are and don't have the worry of wondering if they have been run over or kidnapped or anything!!

Jane x

LittleBrownDog said...

Aarrgh, Noooo!!! Not the Evil Killer Handbag from yon end of the village. I do like your daffodils, though.

I think I may have to find out about about the cheap seeds, though. Am coming to the conclusion that nature abhors a vaccuum, so my carefully dug and weeded borders are quickly filling up with creeping buttercup. Think I need something ecologically and environmentally devastating to keep them at bay.

(Having just managed to prize my young'un out of his jimjams and away from some screen or other and send him bicycling up to Little Somerford for a bit of fresh air and exercise, amid much whining. Ah, time to put my feet up and crack open the biscuit barrell...)

Karen said...

Love, love that bag. Could there be a nicer color? No there couldn't! Enjoy your chocolate!

Only Me said...

I wish my two were just a little bit agoraphobic and not a case of 'What are we doing today mum?'

Especially, when today I am mainly cleaning the house post building and decorating.

The daffs look lovely.

Sue Gee said...

Sounds like Spring has sprung there - sadly we are going into Autmnal mode here in the Southern hemisphere here and looking forward to hot chocolate, hot water bottles and hopefully some rain for our parched gardens.