Sunday, 31 January 2010

two new things learned....

Lesson No. 1

We took ourselves off to a pub quiz in our local last night. It was a fundraiser for our village pre-school. The pub is less than 100 yards from our front door. I wasn't expecting anything new.

Little did I know, however, that sprouts can be curried. The options for our light supper were chicken 'something' and vegetable curry. I have never seen a curry containg sprouts or carrots. I decided to live dangerously.

Now, I am neither culinary genius, nor food critic but there was something so oddly wrong about what I ate, I am still contemplating its implications. It wasn't just the inclusion of sprouts and carrots, it was also the lack of any curry flavouring and the fact that the sprouts had been left whole. It's going to remain with me as a gastronomic mystery for some time. The whole thing reminded me of the 'Regret Rien' restaurant that Tim Spall ran in Mike Leigh's 'Life is Sweet' where the menu was a random collection of strange, unrepeatable repasts. I don't mean to be unkind as our local pub is a thing of great preciousness but I don't want to eat sprout curry again... ever.

We came 2nd (for the 2nd year running). If only we'd lived dangerously and risked 'foal' for the offspring of a zebra and known a little more about Hitler's speeches. There's always next year. Liver chow mein anyone?

Lesson No. 2

The Saturday Telegraph magazine is a font of information and education. I learned yesterday that Tamara Mellon (she of Jimmy Choo shoe fame and legendary glamourpuss) does the same workout DVD I do. This means that, eventually, perhaps I too will start to resemble a legendary glamourpuss. TM, I read, engages in such activity 4/5 times per week. I, on the other hand have managed 2 per week, for about 2 weeks on the trot. My transformation may be quite gradual.

6 comments:

Nalamienea said...

hehe are you going to let us know which DVD it is so we can begin our own gradual transformation? :)

Only Me said...

I think gradual is good - I mean 4 or 5 times a week is just too much and I would just would loose momentum - I struggle to keep my swimming up to twice a week.

Sprout curry - I hope they weren't left over from Christmas....

countrymummy said...

it's Tracey Anderson's workout dvd - it has a very peculiar but weirdly enjoyable standing abs section!

rosecolouredworld said...

I have been a vegetarian for 37 years and, in that time I have eaaten some very odd combinations and some seriously ill-advised concoctions, but a sprout curry that isn't even very curried? Wrong, wrong, very very very wrong........

hausfrau said...

I couldn't face the sprouts, curried or otherwise, but the chicken was of an institutional variety: tasteless, containing ALL the bits of the chicken, and in insufficient quantity (well, small portions under the circumstances was probably wise, but we were hungry). While I grant the pub is precious this was a foolish mistake on their part in my view!
We only managed 6th...

Karen said...

No rush to transform yourself, right? Um, I'm not sure about curried brussel sprouts. Somehow that doesn't seem right.