Wednesday, 13 January 2010

honey - I'm home (again)

Well, two days of school/work managed this week. Will we get up to three by Friday? Who knows? Thank goodness I worked on Monday to catch up a little from last week. If this carries on I'll be in some kind of twilight world of nocturnal emailing and report writing.

J&E have been up, had breakfast and have gone back to bed. I'm in my room, watching the sprinkles of snow fly past my window, continuing to cover everything beautifully but inconveniently.

My plan is to work while the kids are in their duvets, go out and take some photos when they want to go out sledging later this morning and then work a bit more when they're watching a DVD they've already watched ten times. The problem is I work with schools. The schools are all closed. I might as well throw out messages in bottles into the River Avon.

We have food but, crucially, no bananas. We are a family fuelled by bananas. Well, three of us are. I can take or leave the yellow bendy things. G thinks he's going to Southampton so am going to give him an 'if a visit to a supermarket without a carpark like an icerink is possible' shopping list. Perhaps I should have panic-bought.

We will be having chorizo chilli for dinner and I'll put a loaf on in the breadmaker. There is milk in the fridge and we have vegetables to last until the weekend. Apart from the enforced 'Shining'-like stayvacation, I'm feeling better already.

My Tracey Anderson mat workout arrived yesterday from Amazon. She trains Gwynnie & Madge, don't you know. She doesn't have the gushing enthusiasm of Davina, for example, but then she isn't a tv presenter. In fact, she seems quite shy, barely making eye contact with the camera and she forgets to tell you when to change the movements. However, I feel like I've done something to muscles lurking beneath my wadding. The leg exercises will definitely build me up to skiing. Lots of squats and twists and wotnots.

Her exercises are supposed to elongate muscles and build 'strong, feminine' lines. I chose her particular workout as it promises to lengthen, not bulk. Now, I don't know what I do usually but whenever I exercise, I get bigger. I've got to the point now, where I am really not interested in getting bigger. I would really like to shrink a little but, failing that I'm OK with staying the same size just shifting things around a bit. My needs are very simple! There was a very peculiar section of 'standing abs' where I tried to copy her shifting around our respective torsos, imitating Madge on that 'Ray of Light' video. Do you remember that?

So - I've done it once and am inclined to do it again. TA invites me to do the exercises 4 - 6 times a week. If this snow carries on, I will do. Boredom can do strange things to a woman.

Whilst I'm here I might as well tell you about the ukulele. I bought one a couple of years ago after seeing a ukulele band at a festival. Needless to say it didn't get played much. Over Christmas, my neighbour invited me over for a little ukulele practice with another friend. Their ukuleles were bigger than mine. Nevertheless, I overcame my insecurities and practiced on my basic uke and have mastered a few chords. I've been practising every day and picked up a proper instrument (just like theirs) yesterday. Having not played an instrument since I was about fifteen, it's very pleasing. Not for public view but very pleasing.

6 comments:

Only Me said...

No bananas is a crisis - if G unable to get to s'market, D is already in WB and could get emergency banana supplies.

Meanwhile, I too am watching the flakes fall whilst contemplating my 'to do' list which is quite long.

A new big uke sounds great and exciting.

LittleBrownDog said...

Well, we've got three bananas here if you get desperate. Goodness knows how your lot would have managed in the war. Like you, I can take or leave them. Hot cross buns, mind...

You didn't make it to WB then? Yes, boredom is doing strange things to a woman up this end of the village, too. I have spent a good couple of hours perusing a Farrow & Ball colour chart, wondering whther Elephant's Breath might be a good look for my kitchen. Also find myself wondering idly what elephant's breath might smell like - they do live for an awfully long time and have you ever seen an elephant with a toothbrush? Also find myself wondering why they came up with such unpleasant names - Dead Salmon for instance. And the colour isn't much better - it reminds me of the colouring of a mass-produced prosthetic limb from the fifties. Mind you, I suppose that might seem even worse...

Roll on the thaw, otherwise I might have to trudge over and force you to teach me to crochet.

hausfrau said...

I too am going stir crazy! All these people at home interfering with 'my' time making me feel obliged to do odd things like sweep AND mop the kitchen floor just so they know how busy I am. It's not good, but I'm hoping a thaw is setting in this afternoon...

Georgina said...

OMG The Shining!!! Yes!!! Thats what has been lurking in the back of my mind!
DH came home with a ukelele at the end of term - he has heard that they are easy to learn and I liked what he attempted, but he was disappointed.....
I am on day 17 in the big-snow house - what is a banana??

mountainear said...

This enforced incarceration does strange things but has not got either of us craving bananas.

Neighbour has just announced we've had a 'blow job' - think that means the county council's snow blower has just just trundled down the lane.

Freedom.................

Karen said...

Private ukelele practicing just now is fair--but do, do put yourself up on YouTube before long!!! Hey, it'll be great, right?