Sunday, 1 November 2009

a grand day out

I never manage, quite, to take the most relevant photographs, the following should be of historical buildings and abodes....I returned from the trip with a selection of random snaps. I hope you enjoy them....


The blacksmith's collection of rusting rings....


Definitely textile inspiration - can't remember what they're called....


A barrel of laughs (sorry leaves)....


Unidentified, decaying, Tudor fruit...


Back to the blacksmiths for some interesting window arrangements....

We took a trip to West Sussex to see family last week. They live in a beautiful house in a beautiful part of the country and being invited to stay with them has been a privilege for me ever since they moved there which was about the same time as I got together with G. As well as regular visits over the years, we were lucky enough to be able to live there while we were between houses a few years ago.

This time we went to see the newest addition to our extended family, O. He is a charming baby and the older members of the party (myself included) were struck by the fact that our daughter is now official playmate to O as O's aunt (now 22) was official playmate for our two babies when she was younger.

We had a family outing on the Thursday to the Weald & Downland Open Air Museum which is an amazing outdoor display and museum of old, reconstructed houses, a kind of architecurally educational walk. Sussex looked its best as we drove to and from the museum past Petworth, Goodwood and another great country estate whose name escapes me. We passed lots of chocolate box cottages and amazing gardens, all looking beautiful in the autumn sunshine.

I have many more photos - I do love a ravaged, textured wall, door or floor and there were some amazing leather water carriers and jugs that will appear here if I have time next week.

In the meantime, with a view to making a monthly list hereafter....here's November's....
- go to see Pharma's Market at Cirencester Brewery Arts
- go to MISI in Bristol next Saturday
- enjoy fireworks next door to Granny's on Saturday night (no mud-quagmire required - see last year's post if you can find it)
- enjoy my workshop with Julia Arkell in a couple of weekend's time
- prepare for and enjoy E's birthday
- panic about festive arrangements as I won't have time to do anything before E's birthday and then it will be 5 weeks until the festivities begin (did this last year but for different reasons - Christmas happened anyway)
-do a bit of wintery projectforty on the food/exercise front...there is maintenance work to be done....I'm thinking soup and hearty walks with the occasional body balance session.
- fit in a little bit of spa-ing as my previous voucher was topped up on my birthday, facials are half price at the salon in town though so will be going for body maintenance methinks

4 comments:

Brown Dog said...

Love the blacksmith photos. Sounds like you have a busy few weeks ahead - and please do tell of half price facial location. Think I could probably do with the same.

Gill said...

Lovely photos!

Oooo yes, you must see the Pharmas Market exhibition in Ciren - saw it on Friday and wanted to bring home so much of it (but nearly all is sold!) Very clever, very inspiring and very hard work to make I imagine.

Half price facial too?!

Only Me said...

It sounds a grand day out and a good time was had by all. How lovely that E now has that special relationship with O, that his mum had for E when she was little.

The monthly list is looking busy, busy but with some nice bits and pieces too. Have fun.

Lobster and swan said...

I too feel a great happiness when surrounded by pretty trees (re your earlier post) I sometimes wonder if I like them more than flowers?

Have fun at your Julie Arkell workshop! I am sure it will be amazing, and you will meet some lovely people.