Monday, 5 October 2009

seasons greetings...

I'm having an autumnal shift. Can you see what I'm doing here? I've embraced the conker, the rusting leaf, the waning of the herbaceous border with my browns and oranges. I've taken my header off until I do some proper blog-learning and work out how to make this thing look like more my thing than dear blogger's idea of what a blog should look like.

However....

The birthday party went swimmingly, or rather, kickingly. 11 ten-thirteen year old boys pitched up at a massive footie venue in Swindon and gave the impression that they had a great time. Some even said thank you. I was impressed. There was a horrible moment when I thought one of them might have an allergic reaction to the helium balloons they were trying to repurpose but all was well. The birthday boy enjoyed it, having played football twice already that day. He went to bed happy, that's the main thing on your birthday I think.

I spent Sunday collecting walnuts. We have a walnut tree in our back garden. It's very old. We've had walnuts twice since we moved in. This year and the year before last. Our neighbours have also had walnuts twice since we moved in. Their sheds run parallel to the bottom of the garden and underneath one half of the tree. I have noticed a stepladder, moving it's way from right to left, accompanied by a brush and a plastic bag. I wish I had a roof from which to harvest our side of the tree. Scooping handfuls of walnuts into a plastic bag looks a lot easier and less back-breaking than scrubbing around in the nettles for them.

I've got a busy week at real-work this week - 3 days of meetings and interviews. I think I'm organised but, from experience, I know this can change. For example, the postal strike is causing me strife. How difficult can it be to deliver letters? What is there to argue about?

I won't rant now, as I'm hoping to have an early night, all tucked up alone. I love G dearly but there is something quite lovely about having our bed to myself just once in a while. I think this must be quite common amongst we married ladies. G & I have been married for 14 years on 19th. That's a long time to share a duvet.

6 comments:

Only Me said...

I like the new colour scheme.
I learnt an interesting conker fact this week - did you know that spiders don't like the smell of conkers and will turn and run if they get a whiff of some - just call me Kate Humble!

hausfrau said...

I have a squirrel who brings me walnuts. Well actually I expect they're for him, but if he will bury them in my garden he can't expect me not to pinch them can he?

Georgina said...

Coo Walnuts! I am jealous!! Yes that bed to yourself thing - I get the opportunity now I have to visit Mum in Andover every fortnight - make sthe long drive almost worth it! But it also makes the snuggling more valued too!

Gill said...

We have a walnut tree in common too - except that this year the squirrel got all ours.

Good to "meet" you, near neighbour!

ChrisH said...

Oh yes, very good autumn look! Party sounds like my idea of Hell on a Stick, so I'm glad it went well (give or take the odd near allergic reaction - eeek!). Good luck with your workload.

pinkfairygran said...

Having that big bed all to yourself is lovely, now and again, isn't it? However, as I get older I find I want a bed all to myself more frequently. Apparently, it is more healthy to sleep alone than with someone, so I heard this week, which stands to reason I suppose. Separate rooms, space to spread yourself out.. appealing?
We had a walnut tree which gave us several carrier bags of nuts to give away every year, and it was grown by my late father-in-law, who chucked a walnut in a pot of soil one day, just to see what would happen. The result was this huge tree, which we have now cut down, though it refuses to die!