Monday, 12 October 2009

Happy Mondays

After several weeks of frantic to-ing and fro-ing, semi-sleepless nights and general overload, I have made a conscious decision to take each moment as it comes instead of constantly playing out layers of future possible events in my waking (and sometime non-waking) hours.

I have let worktime encroach upon my freetime to an unacceptable extent. It is my own doing. I am caught in the part-time workers' dilemma - overcompensating for a shorter working week by fitting in calls and emails in to my spare time but feeling resentful when my extra work efforts spill into time that is my own.

I have lots of eggs in my baskets and plates in the air. Now is not the time to start making changes. There have been enough of those in the last year.

Now is the time to take things a step at a time, work through some of those lists and make sure I'm doing enough to keep ahead of the demands made by my colleagues and employers. I just need to get on with it and stop worrying.

Now is also the time to enjoy other parts of my life, so here is my list for my first Happy Monday:
- E & I had a great autumnal river walk, played pooh sticks and discussed the education system
- J has been asked to join our county football team
- G has put the heating on
- Granny is finally moving nearer to us and arrives the day after tomorrow
- I have a cup of tea by my side and a pile of retrospective knitting magazines to read through
- I finally have a new ironing board cover
- Tesco's are delivering tonight (I know, supermarkets are evil but at the moment, I'm quite fond of evil when it delivers)

3 comments:

Only Me said...

I like the sound of your plan - and what a lovely list. I like the combination of pooh sticks with a discussion on the education system and well done to J. All good stuff and a break from worktime.

Only Me said...

I like the sound of your plan - and what a lovely list. I like the combination of pooh sticks with a discussion on the education system and well done to J. All good stuff and a break from worktime.

Georgina said...

In many conversations, I have concluded that many people with a melancholic disposition do a lot of living in their head, planning and thinking rather than doing - I know i do, so well done for making any steps forward in the here and now!!!! - Now I must get off the PC and start doing!!