Wednesday, 30 September 2009

unidentified sponge-like objects




My Nana Westwell would be proud. If she didn't have a potato peeler in her hand, she would be up to her elbows in self-raising. These circular babies belong to J who happens to be 12 on Saturday. He has a talent for making eggs, flour and butter spring into fluffy action. He is blessed with the Westwell talent for whisking.

I hope you can forgive this maternal bragging. Sometimes I just can't help myself. I do realise it's quite unseemly but as I'm not prone to doing this every day, I feel I can get away with the odd swell of the bosom.

I am listening to the Archers whilst typing this. I have finally managed to download Realplayer. It does sound a bit tinny though. Better than nothing I suppose.

It's dark already. I have a poorly looking broody chicken. She has been sitting on eggs for weeks with the occasional foray into the fresh air. She's aged about 10 years and looks sad. I'm going to give her the weekend but if she doesn't perk up (and I don't believe I'm saying this), I'm going to have to take her to the vet! I have never been to a vets having avoided pet ownership (unless you count elderly guinea pigs). In any case, it's time to lock them up for the evening, otherwise they tend to go to the pub and go binge-drinking.

9 comments:

Karen said...

What gorgeous pictures! I'm very into baking sponges at the moment and slathering them with butter-cream and jam, but I don't think they look as lovely as yours :o)

LittleBrownDog said...

Very impressed with those sponge cakes! Hope my lad will be bringing cakes home every week next year. Your life filled with cakes, The Archers and broody chickens (I've got a couple of small beany-baby type chicks you could borrow? Or perhaps you could knit her a few babies?)

See you very soon. x

LittleBrownDog said...

... meant to say "sounds lovely" after that bracket. Sorry, am tired. Sum total of work today is two blogs and twelve jars of marmalade. Not exactly going to bring home the bacon, but tomorrow IS national vegetarian day...

(Just noticed Word Verification today is billywif! I'm easily pleased...)

countrymummy said...

Hi LBD - almost mis-read vegetarian day....perhaps i'm getting mixed up with the word verification thingy!!!

Only Me said...

What fab looking sponges - can we put our orders in. Perhaps J could have a weekend stall - there would be a lot of takers.

Hope the poorly chuck has perked up.

pinkfairygran said...

Well, those round objects look tempting, just waiting to be filled with strawberry jam, or buttercream, fresh cream and lemon curd maybe? What a clever lad! I remember being inordinately proud of my eldest son, now 38, who used to make the best lemon meringue pie, and without help from me, which is even better!

ChrisH said...

So pleased to see Son's cakes. Mil trained her son well too, for which I am eternally grateful as he now cooks for me. Result!

So what do you say to your hens when they return from their evening of binge drinking?

mountainear said...

Well done that young man with the whisk- send him over here. I have a leaden hand when it comes to sponges.

re broody hens - 21 days is the incubation period. If more they're not going to happen. Boot her off the nest and get being a regular hen again.

Fennie said...

Those sponges look wonderful. I sometimes try to convince myself that I can make cakes but taste definitely wins over appearance.

Re the chicken. When we kept chickens I used to find that a drop of brandy would do wonders in the perking up department.

Thanks for visiting my blog. Here is the main website of Think About It from where you can link to the bloggers. http://climatechange.thinkaboutit.eu/