Monday, 28 September 2009

friends and family

We went to see our dear friends R&R&I&A&K at the weekend. We had less than 24 hours together and we hadn't seen each other for over a year. It felt as if we'd seen them last week.

Why is that? Why is it that old friends can just pick up where they left off? We have five small to medium-sized children between us and they managed quite nicely, playing and getting along as if they spent every afternoon in non-OFSTED-inspected childcare together.

Almost a day in the company of good friends was just what I needed. I found some very nice Saint-Emillion wine at half price in Tesco on the way there and we took some of our not quite so nice but, shall we say, unusual garden cider too. Tesco have also introduced flower racquets - Gerberas threaded through what looks like a cardboard plate to stop them a-flapping and a-snapping. What a good idea.

We sat in the garden, watched R barbecue and drank too much while the kids played some rockband game and watched a DVD. Lots of chat and food and popcorn at 1.45am. Always a good choice.

It was too short a visit but we had a great time enjoying the musical variety of spotify. I thought I'd joined ages ago but it appears I haven't. I logged my email to wait for an official invitation. I think it may take longer than joining ravelry.

2 comments:

Only Me said...

I know what you mean - it is a fab feeling seeing old friends. It is so comfortable, no catch up required but having had a shared history, and knowing that they are always there for you, even if you only see each other once in a blue moon. Sounds a great weekend and lovely wine and a BBQ - great.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Sounds like the perfect weekend to me. Your post also reminded me to check up on ravelry. I tend to stay away from there as it is sooo tempted to stay on it for hours and hours!!

Thanks for your visit. I know I shall return here. Seems we have a mutual friend in Little Brown Dog!!