Wednesday, 26 August 2009

stitched up



I have started a stitching sketchbook. It currently has three pages. These three pages need to be pressed and also need to be attached somehow so that my work resembles a book rather than three, fraying handkerchiefs.

I treated myself to cloth paper scissors and quilting arts yesterday. They are American magazines, published by the same company. In a stroke of textile luck, I can buy them in a newsagents in Wootton Bassett.

If I was still at college, my tutor would groan if he saw them. They are full of fabric and stitching and colour. There are embellishments galore and technique aplenty. Some of the work may not be my visual cup of tea but I am usually inspired to get out the calico and make some babysteps. They also do a voyeuristic 'studio' publication where makers and crafters talk about the space they work in. As a storage and cupboard fiend, I like to see how people have customised and arranged their space. I'm lucky enough to have a room to myself at home now but some of these lucky makers have whole garages and sheds. I think my ideal space would have more light and probably a sofa or a chaise longue. Apart from that I'm pretty happy with it. I'm less happy with the chaos I create in it.

2 comments:

LittleBrownDog said...

I think I may have to borrow your American magazines sometime. Storage ideas are something I frequently drool over. Failing that, I may have to make a journey to Wootton Bassett. Stitching sketchbook looks lovely - I should stick with that fraying handkerchief look. I think it works.

Only Me said...

Stitching sketchbook looks great - the flower sketch is gorgeous - it's a great idea. I agree with LBD the fraying handkerchief look works.

Cloth, paper, scissors and not rock, paper, scissors.....(sorry)!