Monday, 6 July 2009

2 short days of small discovery

I discovered several things this weekend...

I can only remember so many things when packing, my embroidery spent two days on the kitchen table, abandoned...


Some beautiful flowers and planting at the Eden project...



One of the best gig settings I've ever been to...


I do have the ability to dance whilst waving my hands in the air (thank you, Kasabian)...


I enjoy seeing my kids enjoy what I enjoy...



I like to knit on the beach...


I do not need to match my family's appetite for ice-cream at every turn...


I also discovered why 'projectforty 2009' is not the greatest success on the weight loss front - weekends.

Every week, between Monday and Friday, I lose 2lbs. Every Saturday and Sunday, I put on 2lbs. There is some kind of karmic logic in this but it is now, officially, getting on my nerves. We do not have a great deal of weekend activity for the next two weeks. There are no big parties, no long road trips. We do have some fun planned but it is probably fun that can be carefully and moderately enjoyed. This is my final chance to make some proper weight-loss. Otherwise, it is literally, 2 steps forward and 2 steps back.

After our epic trip to Cornwall, a little vegetative TV watching was in order last night. I confess I watched Project Runway (new series, hurrah!), Ugly Betty (not fascinating, but OK) and Wife Swap (predictable). I know this is likely to alienate some of my more erudite and cultured readers but, hey, there you go, my dirty little secret is out in the open.

Anyway...punctuating my tellyfest were a couple of adverts that I couldn't quite comprehend.

The first for pcworld showed a hovering laptop and a voiceover telling me that 'our world is our children' blah, blah, blah. The upshot of this was the message that if you spent £349 per child, buying said child a laptop, you could then, as parents enjoy more quality time sat in front of the telly. Now, I don't mean to be an old stick in the mud but if 'your world is your children', wouldn't it be preferable to spend some time with them rather than parking them in front of a screen just so that you could park yourself in front of a different screen? I'm all for a little me-time but have we all become so selfish and anti-social that we're prepared to buy our nearest and dearest little boxes so that we can have our own little box to ourselves?

The second was for Radox - intimating that having a bath or, indeed a shower, was some kind of release from family life, that we women who may or may not be mothers or may or may not be wives should absolve ourselves from our daily routine to indulge ourselves in a bath, or, if time-pressed, a shower. Has washing, combined with a little unauthorised soaking now become some sort of spa substitute, a holiday at home. Is that all it takes? I would have thought that the recession would have given all sorts of companies the excuse to get rid of marketeers and ad execs who still think that all the 'little woman' needs is a few bubbles and a couple of candles on the windowsill to have a good time and 'recharge her batteries'. It seems not.

3 comments:

Fennie said...

Nevertheless, a few bubbles and a good soak are fun! Thanks for dropping by my blog, by the way.

Only Me said...

What a great gig venue - more lovely, lovely photos. Am glad you managed to get in dancing and knitting.

LittleBrownDog said...

Oh goodness, am subsumed with shame, parked as I am in front of of one box-shaped screen why my child is parked in front of another, in another room (apparently I cramp his style while he's watching torchwood). Am sorely tempted to pop upstairs, turn on a couple of taps and go large with the bubbles. Or I would if I could find some Radox. Am I, then, an adman's dream? I think not, looking at the empty state of my purse, which would only stretch to something in Tesco's cheerily packages Discount Brands range.

Your weekend in Cornwall sounds awesome. A woman who can knit AND dance? At the same time? We are indeed not worthy.