Sunday, 15 February 2009

Warning: rambling post ahead


I have been consulting my diary. The shock of going back to work has made this a regular, almost compulsive activity. I have increased my commitments somewhat and I am now unable to function without my rather unattractive and enormous navy blue diary. I was managing quite nicely with my lovely red leather filofax which fetchingly complemented my red purse until a fortnight ago.
*
Those days are gone.
*
Now I am a slave to the diary. I have places to be and people to see.
*
I will be visiting Paris and London (twice) during the next fortnight.
*
My hair is frightful - it needs a colour AND a cut (I think I mentioned this already)
*
I have to pack - for a citybreak - with two children in tow - who don't want to wear shoes.
*
I have to work 22 hours this week.
*
There is no server available at school. Ergo, therefore, no telephone. Although I now have a laptop to tap away at.
*
Mmmmm
*
But, I'm going to the city and not being a natural country bumpkin, I can't wait. I can't wait to be in the middle of fuggy crowds and thronging shops and squished up cafes and bustling touristico-fantastico places. I love fresh air and being able to drive in the middle of the road for several miles but, every so often, quite occasionally, I get city-cravings, ravenous ones.
*
Yippee!
*
We're going to Paris for my mum's birthday. Losing my Dad last year was truly awful and I feel guilty every time I think, excitedly, about going to Paris. If Dad was still here, we'd be going to Portugal. We'd be planning swimming costumes and perhaps some tennis. I am reminded every day how much life can change and how quickly.
*
Since that awful day and, very recently, things have changed again. Not so traumatically but quite seismically. We're economically challenged. The crunchy nut credit crunch has struck. We're on that downward pointy red arrow that's on the news every night and I'm expecting to see 'men in Wiltshire have been made redundant today' as a headline in the dear old 'Gazette and Herald'
*
There's always lentils.
In fact there's always lentils as no-one in the house will eat them but me.
***

1 comment:

Only Me said...

Another great photo.

I hope you all have a fab vacances in Paris. I'm sure your dad wouldn't want you to feel guilty - he would want J to have a special birthday and for you all to have a great time. Enjoy.