Wednesday, 10 December 2008

if at first you don't succeed...

Give up! No? Try again! I had some positive feedback from a real live agent to my writing in the summer holidays so, not to appear too keen, have managed to let 4 months lapse before sending her my revised outline this morning. There have been horrid extenuating circumstances but, really, for a woman who has always wanted to write and be published, I appear to be trying to miss the boat.

Having re-submitted though, I have to say, my Projectforty proposal is much improved and I think may be just the thing to read round about now.

We all know that the economic climate is sending shivers and waves through all of us and now is definitely the time for some stability and comfort and ordinariness. I turned the news off weeks ago, now I'm starting to worry for friends (and us!) with meetings of doom and gloom happening in every second office across the UK.

My renewed submission attempts are, quite plainly, a not so subconscious attempt at actually cushioning our family finances. I know it's a longshot, the odds aren't great but, well, if you don't try, you don't know.

I have a distant family connection with a very famous writer and I discovered an article about him written in the 70s where he outlined his approach to writing. It went something like this.

'We wanted to buy a house so I sat down and worked out what occupation would give the most return for the minimum effort - the conclusion, an illustrated children's book, fewer words, someone else to do the drawing.'

He was right, he followed his hunch and became a writer. He moved on to write for adults and the rest, as we say, is history.

1 comment:

Only Me said...

Having had a sneaky peek at your proposal - I think it sounds great - and I hope you're published and in print very soon. By this time next year you could be a millionaire... Good Luck.