Wednesday, 5 March 2008

tickets please.....

I am currently on three journeys:

- my educational journey
- my creative journey
- my gym journey (for which I need to meet with someone called Aimye several times? Answers on a paper towel please....)

You may have noticed that 'Ski Sunday' no longer involves a great deal of skiing. Similarly modern 'journeys' no longer involve a great deal of travelling.

It is no longer enough to start a course, get a bit of learning, do a bit of soul searching or get a bit fitter, they all have to be incorporated into a journey, a quest, a discovery that lead to self-improvement and, it seems to me, an air of self-congratulation.

On the interminable 'Masterchef' constestants, to the last cook, mentioned their journey through the trials of the programme and the competition. They often seemed to have forgotten that they downloaded the application form, had the thought that they might stand a chance and put themselves through the whole thing. No-one forced them to, no-one said that searing some yellowfin tuna and roasting a couple of poussin would make them into a better person? It was only food.

Equally - my 'journeys' are thus: to learn, to create and to get a bit thinner. Once those three things are done, I might treat myself to a trip to New York.

2 comments:

LittleBrownDog said...

Goodness, I'm not sure what 'journey' I'm on... I'm not even sure if I'm on the right train... The station signs flashing past say things like "Washing", "Ironing", "Shopping", "Cleaning"... Help - I want to get off, but I don't want to end up in any of those places. Which way to Didcot Parkway? Perhaps I should download the Masterchef application form. Then again, perhaps not...

New York sounds good, though. You and your lovely PS bag will look just the ticket there.

Anonymous said...

Looks like I can do this provided I am anonymous. Password memory not my strong point. I thought the 'journey' was the point of life these days: everyone seems to be on one except me! I think that just means I'm pretty happy with my lot, but it might be that I'm just too lazy to go anywhere...