Friday, 29 February 2008

people keep writing my book....

Starting this blog was a way to make me write more regularly and it's worked. I write more than I ever did when I did 'daily pages' or any of those exercises people who write books about writing suggest. I actually miss it when I'm away or forget to sit down and put fingers to keyboard.

It also makes me dream more of writing other stuff - articles, short stories, maybe one day a novel. I write these ideas down more and feel more comfortable about developing them. This is a breakthrough. I've always done a lot more thinking about writing than actually writing, feeling embarassed about admitting, even to myself, that I want to write, that I dare to write.

My most recent problem with writing, however, is that people keep writing my books. I saw two books today in Smiths. One about the workplace where most people spend the majority of their time with people they'd never choose as friends (idea had a couple of years ago having gone back to work when the kids went to school). The other was yet another hilarious story of domestic woes and adventures - whoops I drove the 4 x 4 into a hedge and then handsome hedge fund manager fished me out and found my kookiness strangely attractive..... mmmmm, maybe there's enough of those out there already?

So...the moral of this tale? Answers on a comment please....

2 comments:

LittleBrownDog said...

Oh, I wish I knew, I wish I knew. Same thing keeps happening to me. I'm forever seeing books on the shelves at Smiths - usually with an author pictured that's obviously about a decade younger than me - on the subject of something I've recently thought, "Hmmm - now, that would make a good book..."

Someone told me once there are only 14 basic plots (wish they'd told me what they were). I console myself with the fact that there must be billions of books with basically the same premise out there (ie Suddenly Single Slightly Kooky Woman Meets Man in 4 x 4 / Funky Clapped-out Morris Minor / Campervan; spends 279 pages Resisting the Fact That She Fancies Him Rotten, Suddenly Realises Error of her Ways as he speeds off with Unsuitable Money-grabbing Hussy, Fights off said Hussy, Bags Man. Oh, and somewhere along the way she has some kind of crisis that ensures - whilst being propped up by stalwart Best Friend - she loses a dress size, goes shopping for some clothes that don't make her look as though she's dressed herself in rejects from Prisoner Cell Block H circa 1977 and starts wearing make-up.

I definitely think you should develop the writing you've been doing. You've got a really original voice and I often find myself thinking, "hmmm - wish I'd written that..." - go for it.

Melanie said...

Good for people to know.