Monday, 7 January 2008

The world starts turning again....

Eughghghghghghghghg.....the proper start of the year. Isn't it January 12th when the Samaritans get most of their calls? Christmas is done, the nights are still wild and dark, cash flow is minimal and we've all got to go back to work/school/college/weekly routine.

Part of me quite likes it. Mooching about en masse for a couple of weeks is not great for the waistline or the grey matter. I am always amazed how, en famille, we manage to slow down at great speed until one of us starts to grumble and make lists. I am not at liberty to reveal who that might be. In any case, we can't sit about and eat leftovers for ever. I would appreciate any recipes that might be enlivened by a small jar of rum butter.

The Kite Runner was great. Not as great as the book but beautifully filmed and true to the story in most parts. It was subtitled and really did look as if it was shot in Afghanistan but I can't believe it was. There were no major actors in it that I recognised but the boys who played the main characters were brilliant. And yes, I cried, but not as much as I thought I would. There were a couple of interesting trailers, one about a congressman, again during the Russian invasion of Afghanistan. It's all set in the 80s so there should be some great costumes.

PS: An update on knittng from the Golden Compass: I found a pattern for Lyra's hat. I also noticed that there's rather a lot of lovely knitwear coming up in 'Lark Rise to Candleford' next Sunday. Not that I'm becoming obsessed or anything.....

No comments: