Monday, 21 January 2008

onwards and upwards


It was officially the most depressing day of the year today so we can look forward to 364 days of cheeryiness. Marvellous.....I'm lusting after deliciously candy-striped American yarn produced by sockpixie (just google it to have a look). I'm pleased with my tiger-feet singular sock but I need some citrus-zing in my sights to make the January gloom seem brighter. Can I justify the expense and the inter-continental purchase of yarn? Have I become that obsessed?

I hope my beloved isn't reading this. I believe he worries about the wool/knitting/crochet thing - I can see the mild panic in his eyes that the woman he married makes socks. I would worry too.

Above is the start of my art-crochet piece. I bought 4 skeins of patriotically french bamboo yarn in La Droguerie, Paris (the MOST beautiful shop) before Christmas. I carefully liberated each perfect skein from its hook on the wall and it was placed gently into a suitably chic carrier bag. When I arrived home and opened my carrier bag, the skeins had somehow knotted themselves into conundrums of maze-like proportions. My plans for a French-style knitted something or other were scuppered. Luckily I have ART on my side. Therefore I can use the scrumbled skeins as a metaphor for chaos and disorder and the process of crochet as the force of control, creating order and beauty from destruction. And, get me, I shall be documenting the process as proper arty folk do.....

You can't wait, I bet.

Don't worry about the sock, I have cast on its friend.....

This wasn't meant to turn into a knitting blog but it's almost becoming too late.

1 comment:

LittleBrownDog said...

I can't wait. I'm envisioning a sort of knitted Eiffel Tower. Life size.

Know how easy it is to get seduced by beautiful yarns, though. Although I'm not much of a knitter I can spend hours in wool shops just stroking. Mmmmmmmm.