Wednesday, 10 October 2007

the needle is out of the haystack

As a perfect mother, I took my coughing daughter shopping this morning. Instead of wrapping her in a duvet and letting her watch cbbc all morning, I dragged her to the mall, all the while watching out for EWOs - the people who take absences from school very seriously. She's been off school 3 days now.

I can do the first day. I called college, told them she was ill, did lots of domesticated nonsense. I managed the second day. I called college, told them she was ill again, did a bit more sorting out, got some work done. Third day? I woke up. I heard the coughs. I felt my eyebrows knit and my feet twitch. I've got a million things to do and I was facing another day in the house. Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

We went shopping. Only for a couple of hours. And we bought medicine. That's OK then. I'm off the hook.

I found the frock. Knee length, black and a nice shape with a bit of sparkle around the waistband. Shoes are next on the list. I also got a lovely rollery suitcase - red leather - get me!

Book club tonight. This month, we've mostly been reading 'The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox' - Maggie O'Farrell. It was very Maggie O'Farrell, very understated but satisfying. It had all the things I enjoy reading about but not actually participating in - dysfunctional families, a bit of insanity, tangled up relationships. Just like watching Eastenders really but more with proper words.

No comments: